You know that feeling when you need a pen, and you can never seem to find one? I experience that feeling at least once a day. And, I own hundreds of pens. They’re just all scattered around the desk in my office – there’s no organization.
So, I started thinking that maybe there was a better way to keep those pens organized. And, this DIY hanging pen pocket is now one of my favorite things!
You make this from an old pair of jeans and a picture frame. It is honestly one of the most amazing DIY projects ever!
What You Need To Make This Pen Pocket
The cute thing about this DIY project is that the pen pocket is actually a pocket. To make it, you will need:
- The pocket from an old pair of jeans
- A picture frame that’s big enough for the pocket to fit inside
- All of those scattered pens
- There are a few other supplies, but you get the idea.
Do You Have To Sew This Pen Pocket?
No! Actually, there is no sewing or gluing required. This is honestly one of the most straightforward DIY projects. It will only take you a few minutes, and you will love the finished product.
What Other Things Can You Make With Old Jeans?
I am so glad you asked! There are so many things that you can do with repurposed jeans and other clothing. I’ve already shown you how to make drink coasters from old jeans and how to make adorable bags from old jeans.
But first, let’s make a cute jean pocket organizer for those pens!
How To Make A DIY Pen Pocket
This is such an easy project. There’s no sewing or gluing required, and you can either stand this up on your desk or hang it on the wall. This DIY pen pocket is the perfect way to keep all of your pens and pencils organized!
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Active Time: 5 Minutes
Total Time: 10 Minutes
Step by Step Photo Tutorial:
- Old Jeans
- Picture Frame
1. First, find an old pair of jeans that have back pockets. You will need one pocket for each DIY pen pocket that you want to make.
2. Next, you need to decide the size of your frame. I chose a frame that was just a bit larger than my pocket. I didn’t want anything too big standing on my desk.
3. Make sure that your pocket will fit inside your frame. It should fit without getting caught when you snap the frame closed.
4. You’re halfway finished!
5. Once you know that your pocket will fit inside the frame, use your scissors to carefully cut the pocket out.
6. You need to cut out a bit farther than the pocket. This extra material will be used to hold the pocket in place, so go about half an inch to an inch on the outside of the pocket when you are cutting.
7. Once your pocket is cut out, put it inside your frame. You will need to remove the glass from the frame – you won’t need this so set it aside for another DIY project.
8. Position the pocket over the cardboard piece that makes up the back of the frame.
9. If needed, trim off any excess material, but make sure that you leave enough on the back side to hold the pocket in place.
10. Assemble the frame (without the glass) making sure to keep the denim tucked tightly on the sides.
11. Enjoy your new pen pocket! That’s all there is to it. When it’s finished, your DIY pen pocket should resemble this one:
Now you have a great DIY project to keep those pens and pencils perfectly organized!